NUTS, BACON AND BRUSSEL SPROUTS........bare with me on this recipe.
Brussel Sprouts. Notorious for being unloved and let’s be honest, we’ve all smelt someone’s fart when they’ve been eating them! That alone will give them a bad rep.
For academic purposes (of course), I did a little digging into why this happens. Turns out our bodies turns the brussel sprout bacteria into sulphur which makes hydrogen sulphide and methyl mercaptan aka SPROUT FARTS!
Love them or hate them, they are a superfood powerhouse and if you want to get them at their tastiest, Christmas/Festive months is the best time. The Brussel sprouts around this time is a little different. They are extra sweet and you soon forget the bitterness of Brussel Sprouts from the summer months.
So, if there is one time to eat Brussel Sprouts, its now and we harnessed the extra sweetness with the honey and heavenly bacon. Oh bacon……
Let us know what you think at: Info@Designed2Eat.co.uk
- 2 packets of bacon lardons
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 small Big Nuts
1 Tbsp honey
500g Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved lengthwise
- Once, the Brussel sprouts are prepped, boil them for 10 minutes in a saucepan with boiling water filled halfway up.
- Next, grab a large non-stick skillet (I used a wok, to be honest) and heat it up with the coconut oil and bacon.
- Once, the bacon starts to look a little crispy, add the Brussel sprouts for about 8 minutes which have been drained in a colander beforehand.
- Once the Brussel sprouts start to look like they are cooked (aka a little soft and a darker green), add the honey and nuts and make sure you keep the pan turning.
- Keep moving until looks caramelised.
- Season with pink salt and black pepper.
- Serve in a large bowl.
Author: Charleh Dickinson
Founder & MD of Designed2Eat
Food Marketing Management Graduate at Sheffield Hallam University
Digital Marketing Manager & Food Photographer for KUB Ltd
Read more on the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34774965
Watch more via SHU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3u1JbX5_4o